The courthouse is one of the oldest preserved buildings at Vrhnika. The
carving above the portal tells us that it was built in 1554. Its facade is
decorated with two balconies, courtyard with open arcades. In the same building judicial prisons were located and even Ivan Cankar, the greatest Slovenian
writer and playwright, spent some nights here.
The building was renovated several
times, most recently in 1990 when they also renovated the interior. At the same
time archaeological research was conducted which revealed coins from the 15th
and 16th centuries, ceramics and a Roman fibula.
The courtyard of the courthouse is
called the Courthouse market. Here,
the local marketplace is located, and in addition this is the place where arts and craft fairs, small concerts, cultural and children’s events occasionally take